Monday, October 6, 2008

Something smells delicious

I don't know what it is, but I'm sitting here looking at food blogs and all of a sudden i can smell a delicious scent coming from the kitchen. I think mom's making soup, which makes me immensely happy. I can't wait to eat it. Maybe i'll go bake some bread to go with it later.

I've been fooling around with creating a new blog layout. But it's different because blogger uses xml or whatever the heck they call it, instead of html. If anybody has experience in building blogs with xml...tell me, I will nag you for help.

Anyways, as you all know, me and Laurel have been experimenting with fudge recipes. Not together, mind you, or else I'd go insane. Last weekend I made pumpkin fudge. It was supposed to be made with white chocolate, but alas, all I had in my pantry was semi-sweet chocolate, which, unless you are a party cup expert, or some other profession not relating to food, or if you are simply ignorant about common types of chocolate, then you will know it is quite different from semi-sweet. For one thing, it's white, and not brown. For another thing, it tastes pretty dang different. And, an interesting thing I've learned, it's really easy for people to mistake white chocolate for just a product coming from a lab. If you don't check the ingredient list on a white chocolate bar or chips, pretty often you will find that there is no cocoa product in it at all, meaning, it's not really chocolate you are eating. BUT! If you are smart, or want to be smart, you will make sure from now on that there is some sort of cocoa in the white chocolate you buy, whether that be cocoa butter, cocoa powder, or cocoa bean.

Anyways, back to the fudge. I decided to just make it anyways and use semi-sweet. After all, pumpkin and regular chocolate do compliment each other splendidly. For the sake of a good photo, I did mis en place (getting ingredients together before starting on making the food). There it is over there, pumpkin, sugar, butter, pumpkin spice, milk, vanilla, and chocolate chips (note that they are brown and not white, since I didn't have any white, remember?) Well, if you look closely, you'll see my brother in the background just turning his head to make some face at me, attempting to mess my photo up. But I made sure he wasn't in focus.

Ok, yet again, back to the fudge. It seems I get side-tracked easily. I made the fudge, cooked it for some time on the stove while I practically burnt my hand off with the heat being so high and little ventilation in our stove-age area. It was fun cooking it, because it got all huge and bubbly, and popping noises came out of the pop, as if I were doing a science experiment. I couldn't resist videoing it. It's pretty lame, but I think it makes it oh-so-mysterious, with Jack White playing in the background to add to the creepiness.....


cool huh? I was fascinated, and always am, when my concoctions make such exciting results when being cooked.

I stirred in the chocolate and dumped the whole thing in a lined pan. It practically set within a good 20 minutes, so I was able to taste it sooner. It was delicious. The pumpkin spices didn't catch your taste buds until several moments after you start munching on it, which makes it a loverly surprise of delicious-ness. It turned out a bit dry. And I will make it again to try to fix that, as well as using white chocolate instead.

btw, I checked, and mom IS making soup. Some sort of bean soup. I'm gonna eat the whole pot.

Also, the quote below is dedicated to a few people who will probably only read this because I make them. I believe this quote to be pretty true. love you guys.

Ok that's all. sayanora.

~lacey

"
I doubt whether the world holds for anyone a more soul-stirring surprise than the first adventure with ice cream."
Heywood Broun

2 comments:

Meg said...

Love the quote! Yum...pumpkin fudge. I have been wanting to experiment with that myself!

Lacey said...

thanks. it WAS delicious! i'll write about when i re-make it with the white chocolate, and find out which is better.