Wednesday, October 22, 2008

I wrote a recipe

yeP yeP, I did. Story time, kids!

I was browsing around the other night through cookbooks and All Recipes, looking for a muffin recipe. I love muffins. And I wanted to make some. So, as I said, I was looking for a recipe. Nothing sounded that appetizing. Then I got an idea to make either A) some sort of chocolate muffin, or B) some sort of pumpkin muffin (since I had some canned pumpkin in the fridge that needed to be used anyways.) So I looked for more muffin recipes with those ingredients. But, again, everything sounded boring. I started doing some serious soul-searching, deciding what I wanted out of a muffin at that point in time. I looked deep within me, and I realized I wanted a combination of both worlds-delicious chocolatey-goodness, and hints of spicy rich pumpkin.

"But how do I get both in one place, like I'm picturing in my mind? All these recipes are smelly and no-good!"

Well, I was in a picky mood. The recipes didn't really sound all that bad, but I wanted something different.

The only solution? I would write the recipe myself, of course.

So I did. They were much too dry and the outsides were tough the first time around. Also, my family thought the pumpkin flavor wasn't strong enough. Easy enough to fix for a scientist as myself. So I did that too, the next day. And hooray! They are perfect. Exactly what I wanted for my muffin mission. I call them Chocolate Pumpkin Chocolate-Chip Muffins.

They look all chocolate, and you think it's just a double chocolate muffin or some such thing. But the pumpkin flavor is surprising and extraordinarily pleasant.

Now I suppose the only fair thing to do is share the recipe. Not to be stingy, but since I wrote it myself, if anyone makes these, I only ask you give credit where it's due and I'll keep sharing :)

Chocolate Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
3/4 c. packed brown sugar
1/2 c. vegetable oil
2 eggs
3/4 c. canned pumpkin
1/4 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tbs pumpkin pie spice (or more if desired)
1/2 c. cocoa powder
1 c. chocolate chips
Heat oven to 400F. Stir together flour, baking powder & soda, pumpkin pie spice and cocoa. Make a well in the center of the mix. In a separate bowl, mix brown sugar, oil, eggs, pumpkin, milk and vanilla. Pour wet mixture into well and stir until just moistened. Stir in chips. Oil & flour muffin pans, or line with paper cups. Fill each about 2/3 full. Bake in heated oven for about 15 minutes. Makes approximately 18 muffins.

So that's what I've been up to. Now I'm off to ponder the differences between muffins and cupcakes, if there even is a difference....hm.

sayanora!

~lacey
"Muffins are fluffity as they are delicious."
-Randy Ragan

3 comments:

Patsyk said...

Those muffins looke like the perfect fall indulgence!

Adam said...

Sweet job Lacey :) I like your attitude when you don't find what you're looking for... just MAKE IT UP! They look awesome.

Chocolate and pumpkin are a great combo, and perfect for this season.

If you find any cupcake and muffin differences, let me know. I'm just going with muffins not having frosting, which means I like them more :)

Anonymous said...

Yummy recipe invention! I love chocolate and pumpkin. I'd like to include your recipe on our blog, please let me know if you're interested :).

Thanks,
Sophie, Key Ingredient Chief Blogger
sophie@keyingredient.com