Monday, September 1, 2008

im tired of titles

yeP, I am tired of them.

Anyways, after hanging out with some friends this morning for a few hours, I came home and decided to bake.

SO! i made cupcakes. I didn't have a good yellow cake recipe yet, so i decided to try a recipe from the joy of cooking called "1-2-3-4 Yellow Cake". Now, I've made a cake recipe before called "1-2-3 White Cake" and basically it was called that because there was something like 1 egg, 2 cups of flour, and 3 cups of sugar (of course these weren't the actual ingredients, because then the cake would probably be pretty nasty, 2 cups of flour to THREE cups of sugar?! Anyways, you get the idea of how these kind of recipes work..) But as I was inspecting the yellow cake recipe, it became very apparent to me that the writers of this recipe had no idea what they were doing when they named it "1-2-3-4 Yellow Cake". I say this because there was no sort of numerical order to the ingredients, like you would suppose there to be by the title. Just a bunch of normal sounding measurements, 1 1/2 c. flour, 1 2/3 c. sugar, a tsp. vanilla, etc etc etc. Well I'll stop boring you with details only a fellow baker would enjoy reading :P

i made the recipe anyways, despite the obvious flaws in the title writing process...they turned out pretty good. Kinda weird as cupcakes, I think it would have made a better whole cake instead of cupcakes, but nevertheless they were good. I made some basic butter and sugar white frosting and colored them and fed them to my neices and nephews. They informed me that they were glad i made two boy colors and two girl colors, orange and blue, and pink and purple. I didn't do it on purpose, but hey it was a pretty smart subconscious thing, huh?...I guess.

I also made a real quick pasta salad to go with our Labor day BBQ. I cooked some elbow macaroni (naturally i made way too much) and tossed in some diced tomatoes, olive oil, dried oregano, garlic powder, a bit of salt, tons of black pepper and a mountain of fresh chopped basil. The basil gave it a huge kick, it was delicious.

Well I put both pics because I just wanted to show off... :)

That's it for now. Next week I'll be baking a bunch more for the food competitions in the fair...so I'll have lots of results from that for you guys to read eventually. Annnd if I make anything in the meantime, I'll tell you all about it eventually, because I know how much you rely on my posts to keep your taste buds working. Well that doesn't make sense really because you cant eat this stuff...oh well.

Goodnight!

~lacey
"Life is a combination of magic and pasta."
Fellini


1 comment:

Pandora said...

That salad made me hungry. It looked like this Italian salad I had at an Irish restaurant once. Yaaaa... You read that right. Go figure.

But anyways, now I want Italian food. :|

~ steph