Saturday, September 20, 2008

OOHH FUDGE

*giddy*

Guess what! Our local city's Christmas fair changed their rules, and now allow vendors to sell homemade candies at their booths. They didn't allow it before, because the people who put the event on have a food booth for the affair, and wanted all the food business for themselves. But they changed their minds for some reason or another, maybe darth vadar came into their houses at night and threatened to cut their pinkie toes off if they didn't change the rules. If so, I am inviting him to come to the event and receive free fudge from our booth.

Oh, yes. My sister Laurel and me are going to sell fudge. We've no idea what kinds, or what's going on at all, but we have a few months to figure it all out. Laurel's in the kitchen experimenting with a new fudge recipe right now, in fact. And I've got some ideas too for different kinds.

We've been working on mad baker women designs/logos. Well, I mostly do so in class...but hey, we gotta work on them sometime!

I'm also going to make fried bananas. I made them once some years ago and got a champion for them at Food's Day, but I want to make them again. I'll tell you all how it went when it happens.

Oh yeah, fair results.

  • I got first place for the cake I decorated, but if you ask me the judging was off by far. There were other cakes in other divisions who recieved lesser awards than what they deserved. Anyways, I concluded again, as which happens every year, that the people judging the cakes have little knowledge on how much work fondant is to use on cakes vs. tip work. They are both a seperate art, but the fondant work tends to get outshined but loads of detailed tip work. oh well *shrugs*
  • Also, I recieved Best of Show for my garlic bread, which I wrote myself *proud*
  • First place for double chip meringue bars, which surprised me, because I used carob chips in place of the peanut butter chips, and carob is usually frowned on upon by people who don't eat carob. Because they look like chocolate chips, but the taste is entirely different, people usually get the wrong idea about carob. Anyways, I was happy.
  • Oh what else. I entered flourless chocolate cake in the All Chocolate Confections contest, and I got 2nd for that. I wish I could have known the recipe that won 1st, but they didn't have it displayed.
  • My brioche got 1st. The piece that was brought along with the loaf for display was almost entirely eaten, they liked it so much. haha
  • All my food photography got 1st place, and I got two Best of Division awards on my brioche photo and a photo I have of carrots...I'll post them next time.

That's all for now. I know the quote below has absolutely nothing to do with food, but the famous quote from a childhood movie brings back lots of memories. At least it has the word fudge in it! goodbye.

~lacey
"Only I didn't say "Fudge." I said THE word, the big one, the queen-mother of dirty words, the "F-dash-dash-dash" word! "
Ralphie from A Christmas Story

1 comment:

Pandora said...

WOOOOT!!!!!!!! Congrats, Lace!!!! I knowd you'd pwn!!!

I was reading your list of rewards to my mom and she was highly impressed. She says there's gifted, talented, and genius. And you've got the genius.

Rox on sista girl.

~ steph