If you don't know what fondant is, it's the stuff they use on professional cakes that makes the cake look obnoxiously gorgeous. The flowers on this cake are made of fondant. You know, that stuff.
Well, turns out you can make your own.
Something I discovered earlier this year. I hate the store bought crap because its really hard, extremely expensive for almost no fondant, and it tastes like a melted rubber tire that used to be on a dump truck drove by a fat man in long johns who spit on the tire every time he got in the truck. The stuff you make yourself is obviously cheaper, basically just a bag of marshmallows and a bag of powdered sugar, its really easy to work with, and it tastes scrum-diddly-umptious.Basically, you melt miniature marshmallows with a SMALL amount of water (i made the mistake of adding too much at one point, but it turned out ok because i blamed Laurel for it :D)
and then stir in your color, and knead a bunch of powdered sugar into it until it looks like that, over there.
Ooohhh yes, and when you are starting to knead, you have to rub shortening into EVERYTHING that's going to touch it. Hands, surface, everything. It's kinda fun. As you can see, the green fondant I made looks ridiculously like nose slime of some sort before I got the sugar worked into it.
I loved making the green stuff the most because my family got grossed out when they saw it. Especially when I got it on my hands! weeeAfter I made the fondant I made dinner that night too. Spaghetti, of course.
But in the process of slicing up onions for the sauce, I sliced up my thumb too. I'm still un-used to using a nicely sharpened knife, even though I've been sharpening regularly since January. When it happened, though, I realized it was the first time I'd cut myself with my new knives. Not that it was a goal, but I'm just saying. Anyways, I cut myself pretty deep, and it bled everywhere. (not on the onions, don't worry). So I made the rest of the meal without my left thumb. Which, I quickly discovered, is very difficult.
I missed my thumb. And all the next day, I baked for about 10 hours for the fair. Brioche, garlic bread, meringue bars, and finishing my cake. Which was alot of work. And it was all slowed down majorly by the loss of the use of my thumb. You know, you can never truly appreciate how much your thumb means to you until you can't use it and you have a million things to do in the kitchen in a certain time span. You know what's especially difficult? Cracking eggs. I had to crack a billion of them and it was so annoying when I couldn't stab my thumbs into it to pull it apart. I can't wait to have my thumb healed. I'll never take my thumb for granted again!
And so, I'd like to interrupt my cake rant to give you this, my appreciation for thumbs everywhere.
AN ODE TO THUMB
The sun was high
The day big in it's might
I looked at my hands
And saw such a sight
Not an index!
Not a pointer!
But a short, fat, opposoble mover!
My thumb
My thumb
How I love my dear sweet thumb
I curse the day
That terrible day
The knife, it slipped
It slipped in the way
My thumb!
My thumb!
Now I run and scream and yell!
My thumb!
My thumb!
Will I ever be able to chop that big green pepper bell?!
One day
One sweet, glorious day
My thumb will heal
It will heal all the way
I can strum!
I can run!
I can move my opposable thumb!
I tell you reader
Never forsake
Never forget
The importance of that finger
The importance of the thumb
The sun was high
The day big in it's might
I looked at my hands
And saw such a sight
Not an index!
Not a pointer!
But a short, fat, opposoble mover!
My thumb
My thumb
How I love my dear sweet thumb
I curse the day
That terrible day
The knife, it slipped
It slipped in the way
My thumb!
My thumb!
Now I run and scream and yell!
My thumb!
My thumb!
Will I ever be able to chop that big green pepper bell?!
One day
One sweet, glorious day
My thumb will heal
It will heal all the way
I can strum!
I can run!
I can move my opposable thumb!
I tell you reader
Never forsake
Never forget
The importance of that finger
The importance of the thumb
So, what do you think?
I know, it was probably the most pathetic piece of poetry you've read in a long time. But I'm not emo, so I can't write this stuff. I just insist on doing so anyways for your pleasure.
Ok, back to the food.
I started assembling my cake on Monday, since it was due at the building on Tuesday. I made it with just a crappy box mix, since it isn't a taste competition, only the looks matter (funny, that sounds similar to the human race). Then I rolled out the fondant and started cutting the pieces and pasting them on the cake. It was a little awkward trying to position the strips on the cake, in order to have them align just right, but I got it sorted out eventually. (I've no idea why part of that sentence is underlined, but I don't care enough to fix
it, so oh well.) Then I started the top layer, cutting the strips and applying them horizontally. Then I rolled out a red sheet for the top and fixed up all the seams and stuff. I had also rolled out 
some white fondant and cut stars out with a cutter. Then I covered them with some fancy gold powder stuff I found at the store. I set them out to dry for a day or so. Then I put an extremely goofy movie on, (i like cartoons. shoosh.) got some school glue, and constructed a top piece for my cake out of the stars.
Eventually I put it all together and got this:
I rather like it.
This is one of my longest posts yet, so enjoy it. Also, I added a "Followers" gadget, so if you'd like to follow me, it's located at the bottom of my page. Sounds a little creepy. But do it!
More posts and pics later. I'm off to clean the dirt out my thumb wound.
~lacey
"A compromise is the art of dividing a cake in such a way that everyone believes he has the biggest piece."
Ludwig Erhard
I know, it was probably the most pathetic piece of poetry you've read in a long time. But I'm not emo, so I can't write this stuff. I just insist on doing so anyways for your pleasure.
Ok, back to the food.
I started assembling my cake on Monday, since it was due at the building on Tuesday. I made it with just a crappy box mix, since it isn't a taste competition, only the looks matter (funny, that sounds similar to the human race). Then I rolled out the fondant and started cutting the pieces and pasting them on the cake. It was a little awkward trying to position the strips on the cake, in order to have them align just right, but I got it sorted out eventually. (I've no idea why part of that sentence is underlined, but I don't care enough to fix
it, so oh well.) Then I started the top layer, cutting the strips and applying them horizontally. Then I rolled out a red sheet for the top and fixed up all the seams and stuff. I had also rolled out 
some white fondant and cut stars out with a cutter. Then I covered them with some fancy gold powder stuff I found at the store. I set them out to dry for a day or so. Then I put an extremely goofy movie on, (i like cartoons. shoosh.) got some school glue, and constructed a top piece for my cake out of the stars.
Eventually I put it all together and got this:
I rather like it.This is one of my longest posts yet, so enjoy it. Also, I added a "Followers" gadget, so if you'd like to follow me, it's located at the bottom of my page. Sounds a little creepy. But do it!
More posts and pics later. I'm off to clean the dirt out my thumb wound.
~lacey
"A compromise is the art of dividing a cake in such a way that everyone believes he has the biggest piece."
Ludwig Erhard

19 comments:
The important thing is can i eat it? Cuz i really... really... want to... *drool*
if that doesn't win the contest, nothing will.
and fyi, that sensational bit of poetry left me with tears in my eyes as i kissed my poor, overlooked thumbs. so two thumbs up to that. ;)
~ steph
Hi!
I use very often this kind of fondant, instead of put too much sugar, you should put corn starch, an let it rest at least for 24 hours, not in the fridge. You can use it in the next two months warm it up foe few second s in the microwave. If you like you can give a look in ma y decorated cakes, my blog cna be translated, but if you need anything ask me
Thanks for the nice comment on my blog. Your baking looks great!
The Daring Bakers is a group of bloggers around the world that accept a monthly challenge to prepare a challenging recipe. We reveal them on the same day, having kept secret the challenge until the reveal.
Check out the Daring Bakers Blogroll!
http://daringbakersblogroll.blogspot.com/
What a beautiful cake! Love the stars!
Oh, I hope you win! Especially since you sacrificed your thumb for this competition. I think your cake looks wonderful.
Hey that looks beautiful! I have always wanted to work with fondant, never had the know-how.
I wish I could try it sometime.
What an amazing cake! I am so impressed!
Looks like a winner to me.
Lacey, I would just love to get my hands on some simple fondant recipe. Something basic. Pls do send me the link, or the recipe whenever you can! :)
What an amazing cake! I'm not a baker, and fondant terrifies me - particularly stripes of fondant that need to look perfect. You did a great job, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the stars on top!!
LACEY!!!
That cake looks awesome! I would totally eat it.
And I um... loved(?) your ode to thumbs. I think? Maybe?
I LAUGHED SO HARD.
I was trying to figure out the importance of "trying to position the strips on the cake". Cuz it was underlined...
Hey hey hey...poetry is certainly NOT limited to emo's! Have you ever heard of Edgar Allen Poe? Or maybe..Emily Dickinson? Hummmm???
LOVED the poem-I laughed much.
Great cake by the way. It's in our car. RIGHT now.
Danke...
this looks beautiful. oh, fondant, how i love thee. no wonder you got first.
What curious question
You not the expert, casually?
I want not acquiesce in on it. I over nice post. Expressly the title-deed attracted me to read the sound story.
Amiable post and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you on your information.
Hi Guys,
Just joined up, thought i would say Hi
Post a Comment