I said I'd make the coconut cream pie next, and waddya know, I did. Thankfully, it turned out nothing like that fish (was that fish?) pie above...though my picture doesn't look as appetizing as the pie really was, I'm positive it tastes far better.

Before I go any further, I must inform you that I am acutely aware that my photo appears sideways. I messed with it for awhile, but you see, I'm currently in a state of total giddyness, as I just passed my drivers test this morning and now have my license, (yeah, I should have had it years ago, but what can I say!) so I had no patience to make it turn right. I had it right, but I'm guessing it won't upload at the right angle due to something to do with the layers in photoshop I had...anyways! *shrugs* there it is!
I'm feeling generous. Here's the recipe.
Coconut Cream Pie
Crust:
1 1/4 c. AP flour
Dash o' salt
1/3 c. cold butter
4 tbs. cold water
Filling:
3 c. half & half
3 egg yolks
3/4 c. white sugar
1/3 c. AP flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/3 c. toasted coconut
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tbs. butter
Crust:
1 1/4 c. AP flour
Dash o' salt
1/3 c. cold butter
4 tbs. cold water
Filling:
3 c. half & half
3 egg yolks
3/4 c. white sugar
1/3 c. AP flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/3 c. toasted coconut
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tbs. butter
CRUST: In a food processor, pulse together flour, salt, and butter until crumbly. Add water 1 tbs. at a time until it forms a ball when pressed together. On a floured surface, roll dough evenly out until its about 1/4" thick. Roll dough over rolling pin and place into pie pan. Trim edges and use excess to cover any holes or tears. Crimp edges as desired. Poke crust with a fork all over and cover completely with foil. Bake in a heated 450F oven for 8 minutes. Remove foil and bake until edges are golden, about 3-6 minutes.
FILLING: In a saucepan, place the half & half and sugar. Whisk in flour. Cook on medium-low heat until bubbly. Cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in egg yolks. Return to heat and cook for another 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in salt, 1 cup coconut, vanilla, and butter. Pour hot filling into baked pie crust, top with extra coconut and refrigerate for 3-4 hours before serving. Serve with caramel or whipped cream.
FILLING: In a saucepan, place the half & half and sugar. Whisk in flour. Cook on medium-low heat until bubbly. Cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in egg yolks. Return to heat and cook for another 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in salt, 1 cup coconut, vanilla, and butter. Pour hot filling into baked pie crust, top with extra coconut and refrigerate for 3-4 hours before serving. Serve with caramel or whipped cream.
Next up: Mocha Chocolate Eclair Pie, by yours truly.
Have a lovely day friends, I'm off to drive myself around without a licensed driver in the front seat *giddy*
"When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if its not, mmmmm, boy."
-Jack Handy, American writer and cast of Saturday Night Live
Have a lovely day friends, I'm off to drive myself around without a licensed driver in the front seat *giddy*
"When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if its not, mmmmm, boy."
-Jack Handy, American writer and cast of Saturday Night Live

1 comment:
Congrats on becoming a driver! Your pie looks amazing and it would even if the picture was upside down. This is my very favorite flavor of pie.
Post a Comment