Thursday, April 9, 2009

Mocha Vanilla Pie

Er, did I promise some mysterious mocha eclair pie? Well sorry, all I have to offer is this:
BAM!
Mocha Vanilla Pie. Well it certainly isn't a Mocha Eclair Pie, whatever the hay that is, I honestly have no idea how I managed to write "eclair" instead of "vanilla". I was probably too giddy with the thought of being able to drive by myself after all these years, that for some reason the word eclair came out.
But, now that we're on the subject, can I just say how much I love the word "eclair"? It sounds so...sooo....irresistible. Eclair. Mmmmm. Eclair! I want some! *drools*

Er, oops, hehe, got some on my keyboard *composes self*

Alright, alright, back on subject. It has a vanilla layer on the bottom, and is covered in a rich chocolate-coffee layer, served with a chocolate ganache, caramel cockaigne, and cream. (Though, if you ask me, the cream looks a little mashed-potato-ey...I swear it ain't!)

Mocha Vanilla Pie:
Vanilla Layer:
1/2 c. AP flour
2/3 c. sugar
1 1/2 c. milk
2 eggs
1/2 tbs. butter
1 tsp vanilla
Chocolate Mocha Layer:
1/3 c. sugar
1/4 c. AP flour
1 1/2 c. milk
Dash o' salt
2 egg yolks
1/2 c. dark chocolate chips
2 tbs. instant coffee granules, dissolved in 2 tsp. water
1 tbs. butter
1 tsp. vanilla
Baked Pie Crust
For Vanilla layer: Place sugar and milk in a saucepan and stir together. Whisk in flour. Heat until bubbling, stirring almost constantly. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and, stirring very quickly, beat in eggs. Return to heat and cook for another 1-2 minutes, until thick. Do not boil. Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla. Pour hot filling into baked pie crust. Cover, and refrigerate while preparing next layer.
Chocolate Mocha Layer: In a saucepan, combine sugar and milk. Whisk in flour. Heat until bubbly. Remove from heat and beat in egg yolks. Return to heat and cook for 3-4 minutes, until thick. Do not boil. Remove from heat and stir in remaining ingredients. Pour over vanilla layer, cover and refrigerate for 3-4 hours before serving. Serve with chocolate ganache, caramel, and cream.

Adios!
~lacey

"A boy doesn't have to go to war to be a hero; he can say he doesn't like pie when he sees there is not enough to go around."
-Edgar Watson Howe

2 comments:

Mel @ bouchonfor2.com said...

I just drooled on my keyboard!!

The Benny's said...

That looks sinfully delicious!