The July Daring Bakers' challenge was hosted by Nicole at Sweet Tooth. She chose Chocolate Covered Marshmallow Cookies and Milan Cookies from pastry chef Gale Gand of the Food Network.
Yeah so I'm a bit late for posting yet again for this months challenge. Between visiting with my best friend whos in town for a few weeks, getting things in order for school coming up soon, going to physical therapy for my knee twice a week, posting the challenge usually gets pushed back to the end of my list. Poor neglected blog. *sigh*
Alright so we had a choice this month to either make mallow cookies (btw, mallows? Growing up we always called them marshmallow pinwheels) or milan cookies, or both. I wanted to make both. So I did. I started with the milans, but I was a bit distracted when I was piping out the dough for the cookies on the sheet, and I didn't think twice about how much they would spread. So basically I ended up with giant milans. Like, giant giant. I think the biggest must have been at least 6 inches wide. I was annoyed with how they looked, so I told myself I would make more later and take pics of them then, but I didn't, so I have no pictures of the milans to share with you. But I tell you, they were delicious.
Next up was the mallow cookies. I was pretty excited about these, especially after reading the success stories from the other bakers. I took a lot of pictures during the process, so here's the first one, cutting out the cookie bases...
All ready to bake...
I love this photo. The tiny cookie in the middle was made with the leftover cookie dough bits, sort of a reject cookie if you will
"Alright Brian, I'm ready for my close-up!"
Dipped!
Assembly line...
And the finished product:
The only problem I had with these was the chocolate coating. It didn't set. And I should have known it wouldn't without being tempered properly, so that's what I would change next time I make these. I'll whip out my candy thermometer and get that chocoalte tempered so theres no more waiting hours and hours in agony, staring at the cookies that aren't drying, hoping beyond hope that they'll somehow magically set if I make the fan blow on the long enough.
But anyways, there were so good! My brother especially loved them. I'll totally make these again.

10 comments:
They look lovely!!
Your mallows look so neat and beautiful! Congrats!
These look decadent!!! You did a great job!!!
I got a few gigantic Milans myself..lol Your Mallows turned out lovely and perfect! Nicely done!
They look wonderful! And this recipe was so good, who even wanted to wait for them to dry before consuming them :) I'm 100% guilty of eating one straight from the chocolate bowl.
Whoa, beautiful job buddy. I love that sliced pic where it shows all the layers. The mallow part set nicely and kept it's shape the whole time. Pretty tricky.
Glad to see ya back. Good luck getting ready for school :)
Your mallows look wonderful! I'm also quite jealous that you have discovered your love for baking early on and will be opening your own bakery soon. I should have gone with my instincts 7 years ago. Good luck to you!
yum, your mallows look delicious!
Gorgeous! I hated waiting for the chocolate to dry too, but then again I didn't really bother waiting. Licking fingers is most of the fun anyway!
Oh my! These look delish!! yummm
Post a Comment