Friday, March 27, 2009

DB Challenge: Lasagna

Time for a new challenge!
The March 2009 challenge is hosted by Mary of Beans and Caviar, Melinda of Melbourne Larder and Enza of Io Da Grande. They have chosen Lasagne of Emilia-Romagna from The Splendid Table by Lynne Rossetto Kasper as the challenge.
Mm-mm! Fresh pasta is one of my favorite things to make, and I've always wanted to try making a different flavored one, like the spinach or maybe a tomato one, so it was cool making the spinach lasagna this time.
I used my own ragu sauce recipe, and my own bechemal recipe as well, and they were stinking awesome with the pasta (ok, it wasn't actually stinking, the smell of it was enough to make you full itself, or else just a million times more hungry.) I'm used to making lasagna the American way-lots of veggies, cheeses, and anything else I can manage to fit in there, so it was pretty cool making it the traditional way with just the sauces and a little of one type of cheese. I definitely liked it this way better, it was much simpler but the flavors were far richer than any lasagna I've made before.

I also made foccacia and a Tuscan salad to go with it, but honestly it was a an awesome dish by itself.
I'll totally be making this again. Props to the hosts for an awesome challenge, and congrats to the rest of the bakers for their work also!

~lacey
"When the lasagna content in my blood gets low, I get mean."
-Garfield the cat

7 comments:

ice tea: sugar high said...

I ended up changing the recipes here and there too.. Great job on the challenge. Bet it is STINKING GOOD! ;p

Deeba PAB said...

Yes, quite right, you are spot on! It's best when it's simple & your DB challenge came out great! We have the same quote on Garfield on our lasagna!! Cheers

Zita said...

Your lasagne looks lovely, but with tuscan salda and foccacia I think it's beyond stinking good :)

Audax said...

Yes it is much better with thin layers of flavour and pasta isn't it. And it is STINKING GOOD!!!!

Mary said...

You made focaccia too? Wow--it all looks fabulous!

Cook the Books said...

Your dish looks tasty! Congrats!

jane of many trades said...

i didn't make anything to go with my lasagna, looking at yours makes me think i should have!!!